Saturday 17 March 2012

Chennai


On my stop in Chennai, the 4th largest city in India, I walked pass the new assembly hall and associated offices. Without having seen the historical architectural gems of India in Chandigar, Ahmeabad, Agra… I was surprised to see contemporary architecture. The building hasn’t been finished and the juice man on the corner couldn’t tell when or by whom the building has been designed, but it was the first contemporary work of architecture which I have discovered in my time in India. From the distance the details and the execution looked consistent and well done. Further research showed that the building actually has been designed by German company GMP, what a surprise to see them here. However looking across the street to the run down areas with houses falling apart, rickshaws piling up passengers, beggars holding up the hand on every corner, cripples robbing on wheel plates on the ground and little kids pulling massive carts with goods, it looked like out of space – I guess the politicians made clear what the priorities are. Interestingly there seems to be some controversy about the building as the parliament moved into the building in March 2010 just to move out in May 2011 again. Now there seems to be some discussion about what to do with the building. I will keep you updated when I know more...



No comments:

Post a Comment