Thursday 7 June 2012

Manlove? Hmm...not.

One thing in India which I can't get used to is the touchiness of man with man. First I thought this is gay men's paradise but no no no, it is for sure not. India is highly conservative with arranged marriages all around and only in July 2009 the High Court overruled the anti-homosexuality law which could penalize homosexuals with life in prison! I still don't feel 100% comfortable when you talk to your guest house manager and he suddenly puts his arm on your leg or around your shoulder as a sign of friendship. Relax I had to tell myself, it is not what you think. It is actually quite surprising. Public affections between girls and boys is a big taboo here, but nobody cares if two (hetero) men touch each other and hold hand like a loving couple. Something I have to get used to...
Quite a normal view - it is not what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment